Welcome to the News Editorial section of PackerChatters.com where you will find Green Bay Packers news updates throughout the year. Packer fans editorial's, pre and post game reports, draft talk and more.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

I'm really torn on this cut Hunt issue...



by Jerry in Connecticut
For PackerChatters

It really doesn't make any rational sense to cut him before training camp, especially when you consider he already got a nice roster bonus from us.

The problem with training camp is that according to Sherman Hunt is great in a practice situation. He goes all out, he does everything right and then he just disappears in games.

That sort of thing isn't going to show up in training camp or in preseason. We can't play him extensively in preseason because we have too many other guys that need their reps.

The guy has been teasing us this way for years. He has great camps (once they get him in shape). He has great practices. Then he ties up a roster spot and we can't keep some other promising guy.

I would love to see Bates work some magic with him and I think there is a pretty good chance that he will. But I also think that there is a better chance he will just lead Bates on like he has to every other coach since he was drafted, and then not come through. That is what is so maddening about him.

Keeping Hunt around is kind of like going to a strip club to get some action. You'll get teased and led on, and they will take all of your money, but there just ain't no action happening. It's probably the last place in the world to go if you really are interested in action. Guys just know it's much smarter to invest the time into developing real relationships.

Now I have nothing against strippers. They just are what they are, and do what they do. They are simply not a substitute for a real relationship.

I don't argue that his stats are decent. He is a slightly above average D-lineman. The problem is that he gets paid three times as much as an average D-lineman.

There is another side to this issue too. He is a little like a car that you paid too much for. Sort of like spending $50k on a new Chevy Cobalt. It's a perfectly fine car, but it just isn't worth what you paid for it. Do you throw it out? ...... Maybe you do, but only when you already have a better car in hand.

Would I cut Hunt now? I think I probably would. Just because I'm sick of being teased by him for so long.

Is it going to happen? I don't think so. Bates is going to see him in practice and training camp and even for short times in exhibition games. Bates is going to rave about him. He is going to wonder what all the fuss was about Hunt. He is going to put him first on his depth chart, and then he is going to wonder where Cleditus went for long periods during games. It won't be until the end of the season that Bates fully appreciates that Hunt ain't going to give him the action he's been looking for. He is going to find out Cleditus is just a stripper, and no long term relationship.
Comments:
I'm guessing Bates has seen enough film of the guy from real games to know what his history is. What's the old line: "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me". Hunt is way past twice. There comes a point when money can't matter anymore. I can see him being kept through camp as insurance against injuries, but that may be the only scenario where he survives past that. Maybe we can get lucky and package him in a trade?
Enjoy your stuff.
Dan Radley, Barron, WI
 
I enjoyed reading your comments Jerry, and I'm inclined to agree with everything you've posted. I too, think that Hunt has worn out his welcome in Green Bay, but I also think we'll see him tieing up a roster spot into the preseason, and possibly beyond.

JQ
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?